Thursday, May 2, 2013

Life Changing News...

So, after we had the baby in the ER on Monday night, I had an even more eventful Tuesday.  I was called to my bosses office right before I left for the day and told that my position was being eliminated, and my last day is Friday.  I don't think that I have really absorbed it yet.  

Most of you know that I am a Medical Technologist. Here is the rest of my story.  I was hired at this hospital right after school, as a newlywed in a new town.  I was a generalist on the afternoon shift, and quickly promoted to the afternoon shift supervisor.  Two years after I started working there, I was promoted to a department head position.  This is an amazing feat for any Med Tech. I was the youngest section head at this hospital.  I led my department for two years before I had my first baby.  While I was on leave, a big hospital from downstate bought my community hospital and our world's turned upside down.  We went from a hospital that was making a profit and running well, to being run by people sent in from the corporation.  People that don't care about our community. People that make very expensive, very stupid mistakes and make the rest of us pay for it.  I am sure that a lot of you have gone through something similar.  I have heard about it on the news, but until now I haven't felt it. 

My department in the lab was eliminated, the work sent to the mothership while I was on leave with my youngest baby.  I returned to my dream job, specially created for me.  Perfect hours, no call, no weekend and no holidays.  Two months ago my hours were cut, which was actually great for this mommy.  Now this.  I know that in the long run I will be better off. I know that my God has a plan for me that I haven't yet seen.  I know that for my girls this will probably be their best summer with mommy home with them. 

But I also know that I was born in that hospital.  My girls were born there.  It was my first grown-up job. I was so scared my first day.  I was scared of our Blood Banker, until I stood up to her.  I spent so many years celebrating, mourning, loving, hating, fighting and growing with this family I have created at this hospital.  It hurts that these outsiders have come in, taken over and run it into the ground.  They don't hurt like we do, we built this hospital, they are just tearing it down. 

I dread tomorrow.  I hate goodbyes.  I love my hospital.  I will cry.  I will take my time and linger in the hallways.  I will take an extra long time when I leave. I will snap one last picture as I leave the building.

I will find a better job.  I will grow from this. My family will be stronger.  My God is amazing, I will praise him in my weak moments.  I will praise him while I get to play with my girls days on end.  I will praise him as I write these post for you all.  I am grateful for the chance to help you all get back to that from which we come from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment